14 April 2011

Death Valley Century

A photo essay from guest Blogger Helen Steussy of The Flight Continues


Why

would

a

Mother

and

Daughter...









bike

across...









Death

Valley...















...together?











Maybe...



we were

trying

to

capture...









...a bit

of the

magic...











...from
last
summer's
bike
ride....









...across

America.







It
was
magical
last
summer...






seeing

the

grandeur

of

America....






and

the

charm...









from

the

seat

of my

Serotta.










For

50 days...











and

3,060

miles...







we

rode

with

ABB...







and

50

strangers

who

became...




...our

greatest

friends.






Together

we

faced
bridges

in

Michigan...







tunnels

in

Wisconsin....








Wyoming

Mountains...








Vermont

Hills...








Idaho

Rivers...





and



Oregon

Deserts....










Heat










Cold











Rain








Wind










and

Hail...












And it

was the

most

magical

time...








...of

our

lives!






Now


9 months

later...








we are

hungry

to taste

again...







the

magic

of

the road.









It's not

just us.






Others

from that

50 day

journey







ache

to

remember...




Some

plan

to join together

this spring

to ride

the Natchez Trace






Others

will meet

in Colorado

for a

shared ride.





Gerard

just

posted

his tattoo




Dan

wants

one, too!



(He just

stopped

by Indy

to see me for

breakfast)






Todd

just

announced

a sabbatical

from his

work




so

he can

bike

again

across a

country.



(he won't say

which one)



Al

and I

yearn

so much...







...to live

again

in that

mystical

realm




where

all that

matters

is

the wind...













...and

the rain.







So

February



for her

birthday...








...I

meet Al

in

Death Valley...




...to bike

100 miles

with

Adventure Corps.




Our warm-up

ride

Thursday

was

delightful.




Bright blue skies.


Gentle breeze.



Soft,

sunny,

warm!





Saturday -

the day

of the

century -



was

BRUTAL!










Cold!






Cruel

head wind!






Sand

and grit

blasting

into our

faces!







Why

do we

do this?!





Shoulders

hunch

against

the gale.







I huddle

behind

my daughter.



Squinting

my face

into the

storm



My pedal

cadence

is stiff

One

stroke

at

a

time.





My Cat-eye

must be

broken!



It

barely

moves!






We

finally

reach

the first stop -



Badwater -








"I'm done!"



I announce.






Time for

this Mom

to

head

back....






to hotel...



car...



camera...



comfort...


I've

faced

Death Valley

and

"No thanks!"



Not today.







Besides

I'm slowing

Al down.





Her only

chance

to make it

is to leave me

behind!






My journey

back

is not easy.

Blue skies

surround

me...



But there's

white-out

ahead!


Is it rain?

snow?

sleet?







Dang!



It's dust!






That damned wind

has circled

back

to blast me

on the way

home!





I creep,

crawl

and

struggle





one

mileage

sign

at

a

time.






collapse

at

mile

2...








...where

a Dutch angel

picks me up





and whisks

me back

to safety!





I leap in

the car

and rush out

to

rescue Al!




I find her

- ready

to bonk -



at mile 45.






- Go for it, Al!

- I'll pick you up

when you're

ready

to drop!









What a trooper!




So while

she faces

wind

dust

and

extreme fatigue...





I take
pictures....














....of
Death Valley
flowers...















...and

fellow

hard-core

cyclists.






When I find

Al again


she has

found

new friends...




Kevin
and Marc
help her battle
the winds
of Death Valley.

(They only
had a tailwind
for 7 miles).



I watch

cyclists

push

to the

limits...








...of

human

endurance...

















sometimes...






with

a

smile

(?)








...and

I say

- Yes!










This is it!




































This is

the magic...









...of biking!

















This is

the magic...

...of life!




No comments:

We are on a mission to spread meaningful content and give you awesome deals on cycling clothing. Like us on Facebook and see for yourself.